Mértola is a village of Baixo Alentejo, district of Beja, which is in the center of the Natural Park of the Guadiana River, which separates Portugal from Spain. Previously called Martulah, on the eleventh and twelfth centuries, when it was the capital of an Islamic kingdom. The traces of that time still remain. Whether the architecture in the streets or by the Islamic museum open to the public. In May theres also an Islamic festival with the participation of many exhibitors and visitors, that is a huge sucess.
The passage of the Guadiana river, gives to the village a charm that enchants all who pass by it.
It is land of friendly people, good food, good weather and good scenery.
More than a waypoint, Mértola is imposed as a mandatory stopping point. Find out why:
- WALLED AREA WITH AN INCREDIBLE VIEW OVER THE RIVER
- NARROW STREETS, EASILY WALKING ON FOOT AND WITH LOVELY CORNERS
- DELICIOUS FOOD, PARTICULARLY ON:
– RESTAURANT TAMUJE (typical food, good and at an affordable price, but be sure to book a table);
- THE CASA AMARELA (typical food, on the other bank of the river, with a lounge that invites you to spend hours there, but it only opens at dinner, from Wednesday to Sunday);
- THE TERRA UTÓPICA (on the walled area, with a lovely terrace facing the river, with Arab features, mixed with Brazilian details … may seem confusing, but it works well, and the food is really good);
- PULO DO LOBO, a few kilometers from the village, reachable by a dirt road, but where you can feel the silence of nature;
- . SÃO DOMINGOS MINES, where for more than a century they extracted tons of copper. Today is abandoned, but you can visit it. There are signs explaining the all process;
- FLUVIAL BEACH AT SÃO DOMINGOS MINES – a high point in the summer. This beach have a lifeguard on duty, has a support bar with good sanitary facilities, parking, water activities, playground and amphitheater. Another great asset is to have a good free wifi signal;
- AZENHAS OF GUADIANA that many use as a river beach, but it is advised to do that, because it is not monitored and the currents can be strong. Anyway, it’s a good place for leisure or for example, to have a picnic;
- SHOP WITH TYPICAL PRODUCTS IN THE CENTER OF THE VILLAGE;
- NICOLAU ICE CREAM – made by Mr. Amândio, inhabitant of the land and known to all. He daily walks through the village, making the delight of everyone. With the slogan ” Nicolau ice cream are good to suck up to the stick”;
- CASA AMÁLIA – where a careful and welcoming decor, is combined with the hospitality of Mary and Nicholas, a nice couple, who will receive you and will make you feel at home.
Mértola has this and much more … The truth is that it leaves a feeling of wanting to come back…